Monday, March 16, 2015

Castles, German Pancakes and Baptismal Dates

Hello family, 
     What a week.  This week has been good!  Sorry about last week, it was a crazy hectic day trying to figure everything out.  But I am alive, don't worry.  This week we were able to get some new investigators and a baptismal date!  My mind is kind of at a blank right now about what we actually did this week...so sorry if this is a weird email.  
         But I will start with the Baptismal date!  His name is S and he is someone that I talked to the other day on the bus.  Bus contacting is one of my biggest weaknesses and fears.  I struggle with finding, as you know, but especially bus contacting, I don't know why, but it scares me.  But the other day I got on the bus, went to the top floor, and it was full, so I sat down next to this guy and he was actually really interested and talked to me the whole time.  We called him and he said that he would like to meet up, so we met up and he is solid.  He just got out of prison 10 weeks ago, which is concerning, but he is such a good guy now.  He accepted a BD and said how he knows there is a reason that I sat next to him on the bus that day, how I could have sat next to anyone, but I sat next to him.  That was good to hear, it made me feel really successful and it has increased me confidence in talking to people on the bus.  So that was pretty exciting!  

     I made german pancakes for my german companion this week...haha.  Believe it or not she had never heard of/or had german pancakes before.  But they were good and she liked them.  I am teaching my german companion how to be german :) haha.  Sister Ghalkhani is great.  She is so nice and is very soft spoken.  I guess the reason I haven't said much about her is because we haven't had any problems.  It is weird though; this transfer has gone so fast, it feels like we are just on an exchange and that Sister Stuart will be back soon.  It almost feels like we aren't companions, I don't know why.  But I do love her a lot, I have grown a lot with her.  I have changed a ton this transfer, I have been able to see the changes I have made come into effect in my missionary work this week.  It is hard, because I feel like a totally different person than the person I was a few weeks ago, but I know it is for the best.  Even the district has mentioned how I am not the same anymore.  Someone told me yesterday that I looked happier than I usually am, I think I have looked super depressed lately, I don't know why.  But ya, it is hard to explain, I am just a different person now.  Sister Ghalkhani is super trustworthy and is very patient with me.  I love her.  As far as transfers go, I really don't know what is going to happen.  I have a feeling I am going to be moving, which will be hard, but I have decided that I am kind of ready to leave Brighton.  I have been here for a while and I feel like my time here is almost up.  But we will see.




     We also had zone conference this week and Elder Dyches from the seventy was here, it was really good.  Obedience was stressed a lot, which I really enjoyed.  He had about 1/3 of the group of us there stand up and he made the point that that is the amount of missionaries in our mission who aren't waking up on time, and if they aren't waking up on time how do they expect to ask inspired questions?  That really hit me.  Successfulness in my mission really does go back to obedience, and perfect obedience.  Obedience is key.  I have improved a lot on being more obedient this transfer, but I still have a lot to work on.  We also found out that we are getting ipads in April! I am so excited for that, it will help us teach more effectively and be more organized.  You don't know how many times I sit and think 'man if we had ipads it would make life so much better because then you can show mormon messages on the street and in teaches, you have everything at your fingertips that will be really exciting.  I also learned a lot about planning better for our days and being effective/master teachers.  That was his whole topic, being master teachers.  It was really good and I got a lot from it.  
         We watched the Joseph Smith movie this week (the hour long one) with a new investigator.  He is Nigerian and is really cool.  I love that movie so much and the spirit was so strong.  He made the comment after he watched it about how he was cold, and asked for his jacket, I wanted to be like no your not cold, that is the spirit, but I didn't haha.  
     Saturday was a really long day.  We went out to a place called Lewes to contact less actives.  All the less actives were home, which was good, but we didn't see any success from it.  There is a castle in Lewes, so for our lunch break we went and walked around it, it was pretty fun.  



Tiny alleyways in England...they are the best!!

     Yesterday was a pretty good day for me.  T spoke at a fireside up at the visitors center.  I was so proud of him and he did so well.  He spoke about the atonement and how the gospel has changed his life.  He is such a good guy.  President Millar was there last night, so we tried to get info out of him for transfers, but of course he just laughed and said he won't tell us.  But he did say that there are 3 sets of sisters that are going to "pink wash" (meaning that they are both being put into an area neither has served in before), 7 sisters coming in, 1 elder coming in, and 17 elders going home.  Almost all of his leadership is going home in the next 2 transfers, so he is getting new leadership up in the mission.  It is crazy how many people are going home, you can definitely tell that that was the group from when the age change was announced!  The mission is losing a lot of really good missionaries...but there is good missionaries here still :) So we will see what will happen..
         Other highlights of the week:  So since Sister Ghalkhani (she lived in germany her whole life, but her dad is from Iran, which is why her last name isn't german) doesn't speak english for her native language, we have to do language study everyday for 30 minutes.  Her english is really good, and she really doesn't even need it, but president has asked that we keep doing it, so we do.  So one day this week she decided she wanted to sing hymns for language, so we sang all the American anthem hymns haha.  I am turning her into an American, it is great.  We are going to start just talking about America from language study so she can learn more about it.  :)  
         So update on T. keep praying for him.  I don't know if he will come back to church anytime soon because of the incident that happened.  It breaks my heart to see my recent converts struggling.  T is kind of struggling too and hasn't been to church for a few weeks.  I'm not as worried about him, because I know that he has a solid testimony.  But T I am really worried about.  He feels really judged by everyone at church and thinks that we are all really fake, like we can't be that nice.  It is so sad, and I just don't know what to do for him.  I guess the only thing we can really do is pray for him, he is such a good guy, and hopefully he will come back soon. 
           I love you all so much and hope you have a fantastic week!  Happy Birthday mom, I sent you a card, it may not have gotten to you on time though...but it is coming!  I hope you have a fun day and go eat somewhere really good!  I seriously can't believe that this is the last week of the transfers...I am going to work extra hard this week though and leave everything I have here in Brighton in case I do get transferred.  
   
Love you so much!
Sister Robison xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment