Monday, December 15, 2014

Another Week In The Promised Land

         Wow, the weeks seriously fly by here!  I can't believe that it has already been a week since I emailed and that next week is Christmas!  It is crazy!  
         This week has been a really weird one, it has just felt off and not very successful for us, but we are going to change that this week so I am super excited :) 
         I will start with P-day last week.  After we emailed we jumped in the Deans car and we went on a district P-day to a place called Seven Sisters.  They are these cliffs that look over the ocean.  It was so pretty, but so cold!  It was our whole district and our zone leaders, so it was a fun day getting to know everyone.  Sister Hickman and me just kind of did our own thing though; we are pretty identical in the fact that we aren't too big into the socializing thing haha.  I will be sure to send pictures from that day though, because it was breathtakingly beautiful.  England is so pretty, because it always rains everything is so green here.  I love it!  




         That night we went to FHE with the YSA because we were asked to teach the lesson.  We taught about He is the Gift and showed the video, I think they all liked it.  Then every week someone in the ward cooks dinner for FHE, but whoever was supposed to do it forgot, so we ordered a whole bunch of Dominos Pizzas.  It tasted so good, but it definitely was not American pizza.  Something weird is they put corn on everything here, there was corn on the pizza, but it still tasted good.  Bri couldn't live over here though cause she hates corn haha. 



         Well Tuesday was the lovely day that I opened my wallet and saw that all my cash was gone.  I was so mad all morning because I couldn't believe someone would actually steal a missionary’s money.  The only place that I left my bag alone was that Sunday at Stake Conference while I was talking to people.  I thought for sure it would be safe at Stake Conference.  It was about 80 pounds, which is quite a lot, that is the equivalent to about 150 US dollars.  But luckily it was the personal money that i came with, so I didn't have to get more money from the church, I will just have to live with out it.  The more I think about it the more grateful I am that they just took the cash and not my wallet.  The whole "it could be worse" thing helped me forgive the person, and I hope they used the money for something really good :)
         Tuesday was a crazy day.  We take the buses everywhere we go, and the bus we take to the chapel usually is about a 15 minute bus ride, but that day it took us an hour because traffic was so bad.  The buses were so full that some of them wouldn't even stop at the stops cause they couldn't have any more people get on.  It was nuts!  Luckily most of our appointments fell through, so we were able to make it to the few that didn't and we were able to get everything done.  The little things you become grateful for on your mission :)  
         Wednesday was amazing.  On Wednesdays we have district meeting, which is always fun.  The spirit was with us so strong this week.  One of the Elders talked to us about his story about how he got on his mission and the struggles he has had and I was about in tears it was so good.  He talked about how some days on his mission the only thing he could do was put on his nametag and go out on the street.  He said if that is all you can do, that is fine, that is all the Lord requires, but you can always put more effort into it if you are willing.  It was a really spiritual time and it was exactly what I needed to hear.  
That day we taught a couple families as well.  The family that was supposed to feed us the kangaroo forgot, so sadly we didn't have it. I was kind of looking forward to it!  Oh well.  We taught a lesson to one of our investigators who just lost her Grandma, so we taught her the plan of salvation, and I think that that has become my favorite lesson to teach.  It is such a simple straight forward, yet so spiritual lesson.  It was amazing and she was just beaming with joy after we were done.  
         Oh that night I attempted to make homemade mac n cheese haha.  We put a little too much cheese in it, but it still tasted really good and reminded me of home :)
         Thursday we got to go to the temple!!!!! It was so nice and I loved every minute of it!  That is Presidents Christmas present to all the missionaries every year, he charters buses to get the people from like plymouth up here to go.  But he thinks that it is really important, so he makes sure it happens.  We saw the film I saw when I went through for the first time, so it was fun kind of reflecting on my experience of receiving my endowments.  This week I have though a lot about the temple and the importance of it, and I have come to love it so much.  It was sad during the session though because we were all sitting in the Celestial Room with President and Sister Millar and I realized that it could be a year before I am back.  I have a new appreciation for the temple and we are so blessed to be able to have one so close to us in Logan.  That was cool sitting in the Celestial room with all missionaries, it was like Gods army haha.  I love the temple, and the London temple is so pretty on the inside!  It isn't like any of the temples I have been in before, I really hope I can go back soon!  



We had a lunch with the zones we were with after the session, which was really good.  It was a ham dinner, so it felt like Christmas!  They had chimes so we played some Christmas carols on them, it reminded me of us on Christmas Eve and how much we all love playing them ;) hahaha  I got roped into playing the piano while they all sang Christmas carols, seriously I can't decide if its a blessing or a burden that I play, sometimes I really just want to sit and sing with everyone and relax.  But I have to use the talents given to me ;) haha
         President also talked to us about missionary work and how it isn't about individual numbers, but numbers as a whole.  He said "It doesn't matter if your in Brighton where people are running to the font left and right, or somewhere that is 'dead'", it is not us that takes the credit, but the mission as a whole and the Lord.  I loved that because it seems like people get so caught up in your numbers out here and how many people you can talk to, but that isn't what matters, it is doing the Lords work that matters.  And I laughed when he said people are running to the font here haha. 
         We also got all of our Christmas packages to take back with us, and I got a lot!  I haven't opened some of them yet, but I did opened the families when I got back, and I was overwhelmed with how much was in there!  I held myself together, but for some reason when I saw the sand dollar I started to tear up.  Thank you for putting that in there, it is one of my favorite traditions of ours. And G&G Smith sent a nativity set, which I love and am so grateful for.  I put up the Christmas tree you sent yesterday morning, but I forgot to take a pic, sorry.  But it is really cute and I love it so thanks for sending that!!!

         We taught a lesson to a recent convert that night and I felt like I was high on the spirit.  I really do think the temple like rejuvenated my spirit, it was amazing!  I felt like we were really following the spirit with what to teach and I participated a lot, so I was really happy.  Thursday was a good day :)
         Friday we had a baptism!  No it wasn't T (she’s asked us not to include names), he has been sick all week and we haven't been able to see him, so he hasn't been baptized yet, we are hoping he will be the 27 though!  But it was for T, one of our other investigators that is awesome!  We had to get everything ready at the chapel so we spent most the time there.  We had to clean the font, which was fun haha, I never thought I would do that in my life, but I did!  His baptism service was really good, he is quite shy so there weren't many people.  And because of that, the missionaries had to do the musical number.  Myself, Sister Hickman, Elder Reed and Elder Green had to sing the song Come Unto Christ.  I was so scared we were going to butcher it, but don't worry we actually did pretty good.  Yes I sang in front of people, it was totally out of my comfort zone, but I can say I did it.  I recorded it so I will have to show it to you guys when I get home.  


         We had time to do some street contacting after the baptism and we were kind of successful, some people would talk to us, but not a ton.  Everyone was saying "I'm good", or "I'm not interested" and sometimes I just want to be like look, you're really not good, this is eternal life we are talking about, or you should be interested because this is how you gain eternal life.  But people sadly have their agency, so we can't choose for them.  
         That night was the ward Christmas party, which was fun.    We played games and sat in a circle and sang some Christmas songs, all the ones that talk about snow and having a white Christmas, which made me miss being home for Christmas, but I wouldn't trade being here for anything.  
Saturday was a weird day.  Sister Hickman and I just woke up in a funk.  We didn't tell each other, but we talked about it that night and we both woke up just feeling weird about something.  We still can't figure out what it was, but the whole day was just weird.  We had a lesson with an investigator.   He isn't a "progressing investigator", or one that is moving towards baptism.   I was frustrated because we hardly get to teach him the gospel during lessons.  That afternoon we made homemade oreos for a munch n mingle we had yesterday, so that was fun. 
         Then as a zone we are giving each other different finding ideas for how to talk to people about He is the Gift, so we did ours Saturday night.  Ours was to wrap up pass a long cards and hold a sign that said "FREE GIFT" on the street and hand them out.  We were really successful with that and lots of people took them, but we decided that having two sisters standing on the street at night holding a sign that says free gift is probably not the smartest idea.  We had a couple people say some inappropriate stuff, but you just have to ignore them and move on.  We had one guy take one and then offer us a free gift, AKA some drugs, and we had to tell him like 10 times we didn't want any haha.  It was an adventure and I have some stories for my journal not :)  After that we were supposed to be teaching someone at the chapel, but as we were waiting for him Sis Hickman and me both had this terrible feeling, so we told him we were going to have to reschedule and we went home.  It was the weirdest thing and we don't know what would have happened if we stayed, but we are both so glad we made it home safe.  I don't know what it was about that day, but something just didn't feel right.  


         Then yesterday was Sunday!  Woohoo, another week down!  T, our investigator that got baptized Friday, was supposed to be confirmed during sacrament meeting, but he didn't show up, which is concerning, so we have to meet with him and figure out what is going on.  But that's like the only bad thing that happened.  We had a munch n mingle with is always good, we always love free food!  Then a family in the ward is doing a Christmas Carol Concert on Friday and I'm accompaning them on some songs so I spent some time trying to learn them with them because they are kind of difficult.  That afternoon we had an appointment fall through and our whole district was still at the chapel and we just got into really personal stories and we had like bonding time.  I have really come to love my whole district, we all get a long so good and the time we spend together is a lot of fun, so I enjoyed yesterday afternoon.  
         That night we went over to the bishops house for dinner with the Ward Mission Leader.  Dinner was good, as usual.   The Ward Mission Leader is going through the temple next week so Bishop asked us to sit in on the temple prep class, which I loved.  It was interesting hearing the lessons now that I've gone through.  It made me really think about everything and how everything applies.  I love the temple.  It was a great night because of that, it is always fun to reflect on when I first went through.  
         This week was another good one and I am grateful for the lessons that I learned and the memories that I made.  I can't believe it is Christmas next week!  It is so crazy!  People are saying we could get snow here before then, so I am crossing my fingers!  

         Oh and we are trying to get permission to go to London for P-day next week, so I don't email at the same time, don't freak out, I am still alive, I am just in London.  I told the Ward Mission Leader that that is the only thing I want for Christmas and the District Leader has been planning it for a while, so I am crossing my fingers that President will let us go.  Everyone in my district is so jealous of me because I have gotten to do so much already haha.  Perks of being in a district where everyone is going home in the next 5 months :)  It is fun! 

         Well I love you guys and hope you have a great week!  Remember Christ and everything he has done for us and remember that we were sent on earth at this time for specific purpose.  I know Christ lives and loves each of us, he is watching over us every day and wants us to succeed in life and return to his presence.  The gospel is amazing and can bring so much peace and joy in our life if we let it.  So let it :)

Love,

Sister Robison 

No comments:

Post a Comment